APAC Assistance Director Paul Quaglia discusses South Asia secuity issues.
• Yesterday four soldiers were killed, and two others were injured in an attack by insurgents in Loralai town of Baluchistan province in south-west Pakistan. Four insurgents were killed by the security forces when they attacked a police training center in the town.
• The security situation in the country has been deteriorating with multiple political assassinations and terror attacks reported over the last two months. Baluchistan province is plagued by a separatist insurgency, insurgents had attacked the Chinese consulate in Karachi in November 2018.
• Clients are advised to avoid traveling to remote areas of Baluchistan province. For business missions, it is critical to take satellite telecommunication devices and appropriately qualified people who can plan and conduct the close protection you require. Planning and the intelligence required cannot be done by the members of the close protection detail.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in an interview yesterday that any decision on introducing a law to resolve the Ram Temple dispute will be taken after completion of the judicial process. The government is under pressure from right-wing groups to introduce a law to build a temple for the Hindu deity Ram on a disputed land also claimed by Muslims at Ayodhya in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.
• The right-wing Hindu groups have conducted multiple rallies in Ayodhya and Delhi to demand a law to build the temple while the case is still pending in the Supreme court.
• Clients are advised to monitor any announcements on protest rallies by the right-wing groups which are likely to raise communal tensions in the country.